Saturday, January 21, 2017

Cultivating a Grateful Heart to Reach Your Weight Loss Goals


After some recent reflection on my weight loss journey I came to the realization that I was carrying around some extra baggage that needed to be dealt with.  While this “baggage” may not have measured on my scale, it was really weighing me down.  At this point, I have maintained my weight loss for several years but I realized I still wasn’t satisfied with my body.  I would look in a mirror and be disgusted with myself- I would see my arm fat waving back at me, I’d get disappointed that I had a 2 pack instead of a 6 pack, and even though I could lift heavy weights with my legs I’d zone in on the small indentation on my leg and consider my hard work useless.  When people would compliment me about the visible changes I had made to my body, instead of being grateful for their encouraging words, I would respond to them by pointing out one of my flaws. I am so embarrassed by this behavior now but I did this for years my friends!  I just couldn’t accept a compliment from anyone about my weight loss or body because I was weighed down with a flawed perspective, the lens from which I viewed myself and measured my success was blurred.  I was never satisfied! I would reach a goal and not be happy because I had already found 20 new things wrong with myself that needed to be fixed, it was an endless cycle and completely exhausting! I was like a hamster on a wheel, going round and round. In hindsight, it’s so easy now for me to identify that I was an incredibly ungrateful person! The things I didn’t have were blinding me to all the things that I did have! I couldn’t see or celebrate them because I was only fixated on what I didn’t have.  Sometimes in life, we tend to focus on what we want so much, that we fail to recognize and appreciate how far we’ve come. We’re always looking for what’s next, we always want more and we never stop to be thankful for the now.  This flawed mindset is evident throughout our society- we want the newest cars, the trendiest clothes, and people line up for days to buy the newest iPhone even though they have a perfectly good phone already in their pocket!  We focus on better, more, faster… and as a result we’re left feeling empty, never being completely satisfied with what we have.   To be a grateful person is a choice one must consciously make, it’s against most people’s character to be naturally thankful due to our cultural upbringing of being focused on more.


So you may be thinking, yeah all this sounds real nice and all but how the heck does being a thankful person help with weight loss? Our minds are incredibly powerful.  Our thoughts- what we chose to think about and focus on in our minds, often expand and overflow into our lives.   If you are constantly dwelling on what you don’t have, you’ll never be happy with what you do have.  If your mind is flooded with negative thoughts, you’ll constantly be left feeling bad and honestly, it’s hard to make good choices when you feel bad.  If you’re anything like me, you’ve probably experienced some form of emotional eating at some point on your weight loss journey.  Let’s be honest, there are times when life sucks so bad that eating a big bowl of ice cream or maybe straight from the carton (whatever, don’t judge me) is just what you need to feel better.  Chances are if you feel like crap, you’re more likely to eat like crap!  A sound mind is essential for making the necessary good choices each day that help you eventually reach your weight loss goals.  The choice of which mindset you will choose to embrace is yours.  By choosing to maintain an mindset of thanksgiving- being grateful for what you have and how much you have already accomplished, will result in a much more positive outlook in life, making it more possible to make better decisions and reach your goals.  Your grateful heart will become the fertile ground, ready for seeds (goals and accomplishments) to be planted and harvested. A thankful heart is ideal potting soil.  It’s really difficult to grow a dream or goal in bad soil.  Perhaps you’re frustrated that you haven’t made much progress towards your weight loss goal, could it be that you have overlooked the soil you’re planting that goal in?



No matter your circumstance in life, there is always something to be thankful for. You may have to do some serious digging at times but you can always find something to be grateful for.  You may not be where you want to be in life but you can be thankful that you aren’t where you used to be! Each step you take in the right direction, no matter how small it may be, is one to be proud of and thankful for! When I look in the mirror now- yup, still no 6 pack, but I’m thankful I don’t have the baker’s dozen of rolls that I once had! And yes, that arm fat still waves at me sometimes but I’m thankful that I’m able to do all the crazy arm exercises that I once would have never imagined myself being able to do!  Today I’m incredible grateful that I’m no longer a slave to running on that ridiculous hamster wheel of never being satisfied and I encourage you, my friend, to jump off that sucker too!  The quickest exit off is to cultivate a thankful heart and you’ll be amazed at the harvest you’ll begin to reap when you finally have the necessary good soil to grow your goals and dreams in. 

1 comment: