Thursday, May 12, 2016

Favorite Food Finds

Over the course of my weight loss journey, I have found some great food finds that make eating healthy a lot easier and enjoyable and I would love to share them with you! Most of these items can be found at Target or your local grocery store.

1. Oat Fit Oatmeal Packets- These come in several flavors, my favorite is the cinnamon roll, each packet has only 100 calories, added flax seed and omega-3, and the best thing is they are ready to roll in 90 seconds in the microwave.  These are perfect for mornings when you don't have time to cook and they taste great, even my kids like them!



2. PB2 Powdered Peanut Butter- Peanut powder is made by dehydrating peanut butter and removing most of the fat, it is low in calories and fat. I'll be totally honest, if you follow the manufacturer's instructions and make this by adding it to water to create the peanut "paste" as it suggests, it is kind of funky, but it is delicious when added to protein shakes, oatmeal or yogurt and really gives an authentic peanut butter taste for only 45 calories!


3. Walden Farms Zero Calorie Pancake Syrup and Chocolate Syrup- I am fairly convinced that some type of magic goes into creating Walden farm products. They have zero calories, zero carbs, and zero fat. They sound too good to be true! I imagine they are probably made with chemicals that will rot my insides but sometimes when trying to eat healthy I'm willing to make compromises and since this company gives me chocolate with zero calories, I could care less what may be in it because it tastes delicious. The pancake syrup tastes like real syrup only it has a watery consistency.  I use it when I make protein pancakes....yes, I go there, don't judge me.



 4. Archer Farms Cook in a bag Homestyle Turkey Breast- This is a hidden Target gem. Most Targets only carry these around the holidays but if you are lucky enough to have a super Target, they carry them year round. This little beauty comes pre-seasoned and cooks in a bag in your oven in a little over 2 hours. Usually pre-seasoned meat has ridiculous amounts of added sodium, but this one is low in sodium! Each 4 ounce serving has only 100 calories, 1.5 fat, and 0 carbs and it is really good! I use this often as an easy meal prep if I am short on time.


5. Jennie-O extra lean ground turkey breast- I have a confession- I am turkey breast snob. I have tried every brand out there and nothing measures up to Jennie-O extra lean ground turkey breast. I love that it freezes well, so I stock up when it's on sale because it is more expensive than the other brands. Jennie-O is the leanest ground turkey I have found, each serving has 26 grams of protein and 1.5 grams of fat. I use this for my skillets, taco wraps, salads, burgers, etc. 


6. Blue Diamond Almond Breeze Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk- A great way to cut down calories and fat in recipes that call for milk is by substituting unsweetened almond milk. Each 8 ounce serving has only 30 calories. I use this often for protein shakes and in a lot of my recipes. Costco is a great place to buy this in bulk for a cheaper price but you can also find it at any grocery store. They also make a yummy chocolate version which has only 45 calories per serving.


7. Coffeemate Sugar Free Sweet Italian Creme creamer- Similar to Walden Farms Products, this a clean eating compromise for me, after trying every "natural" alternative for coffee creamer, I decided I couldn't survive without creamer in my coffee and didn't care what chemicals were present in this product because coffee with creamer brings me joy. I have tried many different brands of sugar free coffee creamer and none come even close to tasting as good as Coffeemate products.  Coffeemate makes several varieties of sugar free creamers, my favorite is the Italian Creme and at Christmas time the Peppermint Mocha, they have only 15 calories, 1 gram of fat and 2 carbs per serving.  They sweeten coffee enough that no other sweetener is necessary. I love that I can enjoy coffee with creamer and not have to kill my healthy eating with a bunch of added calories and carbs that most creamers have.


8. Boathouse Dressings- When eating healthy, salads are a staple, but let's be honest a bunch of greens by themselves isn't very appealing day in and out. The problem with salad dressings is that some are loaded in calories and fat and almost all are loaded with tons of sodium. I would say the ideal option for a salad dressing would be to make your own from scratch with a healthy oil and fresh spices. However, the time for homemade dressing isn't always available, and that's where boathouse dressing products come in handy. All of their dressings are much lower in sodium, calories and fat than other brands of dressings. Their cream based dressings such as ranch, cilantro and blue cheese are Greek yogurt based, so they are much healthier than traditional creamy dressings! Dressings range in calories from 30-45 calories per serving. My favorite is the balsamic dressing which is olive oil based and has only 30 calories per serving. These dressings are found in the refrigerated section in the produce department.

9. Flatout Protein Up Flatbread/wrap- If you are craving bread, tortillas, pizza, etc. this is a great lower carb, high protein, and high fiber version. I use these to make healthier pizzas, breakfast burritos, and sandwich wraps. Each serving is 130 calories,12 grams of protein, 2.5 grams of fat and while it does have 18 carbs which may seem high if you are watching carbs, it has 10 grams of fiber which is almost half of your daily recommendation! These crisp up nicely in the oven for pizzas and freeze well if you don't plan on using them within the recommended use date. I will say that these can be a little tricky to find in grocery stores, most grocery stores keep them near the service deli area.


10. Veggetti Spiral Vegetable Cutter- So this may not be a food product, but it is a tool used for food that has taken healthy eating to a whole new level. This inexpensive gadget turns zucchini and squash into "zoodles"- a healthy, low calorie, fat free, and low carb alternative for pasta! This tool is easy to use, you simply put the zucchini in and twist. It has two different width options for the thickness of the "zoodle". A medium zucchini makes a large plate of zoodles and only has 33 calories compared to 221 calories in a one cup serving of spaghetti! The Veggetti tool is sold at places like Target and Amazon and is around 10 bucks. If you haven't tried "zoodles" I highly recommend you give them a try!






1 comment:

  1. These all sound like great food finds! Thanks for the suggestions :-)

    ReplyDelete