Thursday, August 18, 2016

Fun Food Finds- August 2016


When I first started eating healthier, I often found myself getting stuck in the rut of eating the same foods day after day because it seemed easier just to stick to the same reliable foods that I knew were safe, then to try and venture out to find new food ideas.  But that way of living got old real fast!  Let's be honest who wants to eat the same boring chicken breast, brown rice and broccoli every day...barf! So in order to prevent becoming bored with eating the same foods, I am now always on the look out for fun new food products to spruce things up and I would love to share them each month with you! Starting this month, I will share some of my favorite recent product finds and where to purchase them so that you give them a try too!

1.  Trader Joe's- Reduced Fat Cilantro Salad Dressing

I recently found this reduced fat cilantro salad dressing in the refrigerated section of Trader Joe's next to their refrigerated produce.  Each serving has 45 Calories, 2 carbs, 3.5 fat, and 120 mg of sodium which is pretty good considering that most salad dressings are loaded in sodium! I have used this dressing to create a southwest salad and a spicy chicken lettuce wrap.


2.  Trader Joe's Riced Cauliflower-

Another great Trader Joe's find is this riced cauliflower.  Cauliflower is a magical veggie in the fact that if you are watching your carbohydrate intake, it is an excellent replacement for rice, grains, potatoes, and can even be used to make a pizza crust or bread! My favorite way to use this riced cauliflower is as a rice substitute, my favorite recipe can be found here Skinnytaste Mexican Cauliflower Rice . While my personal experiences with attempting to create the perfect cauliflower based pizza crust have resulted in some epic fails, there are some Pinterest superheros that have been successful in creating this, so have fun experimenting my friends!



3.  Let's Skip the Sandwich Low Carb Wraps

I found this product at my favorite local farm store and have also seen it at Clark's Nutritional Stores, if you don't have one of these stores near you, check their online retail locator here- Store Locator These low-carb wraps are perfect for making not only sandwich wraps, but they also crisp up well in the oven and can be used in place of a pizza crust.  They have only 60 calories, 2 grams of fat, 6 grams protein, 7 grams of fiber and 11 carbs.


4. Fresh Gourmet Baked Parmesan Crisps

These Parmesan Crisps can be found at most grocery stores and are diet friendly! They are great substitute for croutons on salads and also are a nice low carb topper for soups.  Each serving has 25 calories, 3 grams protein, 1.5 fat grams, and 1 carb. 



5. Kroger- Carbmaster yogurts

This product is not new, however, I just recently became aware of it and love it! These yogurts are Kroger brand and can be found at Kroger and Ralph's grocery stores. They have a large variety of different flavors to choose from. My favorite's so far are the white chocolate raspberry and key lime pie.  Each serving is 60 calories, 9 grams of protein, and only 4 carbs.


No comments:

Post a Comment